Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Gahden!

We've seen the image over and over.  The camera sweeps up to the rafters to take in the 1972 banner, the 1970 1941 1939 1929 banners.  It's a magical moment now to observe the new 2011 banner floating up to take its rightful place next to the one that of course has most meaning for me.  When the cameras turn to capture the faces of former champs down on the ice, especially my adored Bobby Orr, I can almost, ALMOST conjure up that same sense of joy felt thirty-nine years ago.  (I can be forgiven, too, for having fallen in love with the superstar when I was a teenager, not so easily forgiven for still hanging onto a bit of that crush.  He's still so dreamy, though; how can I not?!)

But the point here is that we see those banners at every moment when an announcer or news reporter wants to get all dramatic or to build "feeling", and the effect becomes dulled, the effort lacking real meaning.  It is sweet, however, to see that 2011 banner settling into its new home.  Tonight, at least, the effect is poignant, the effort definitely with meaning.

Let the games begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment